• Information on this archive. See IIDB.org
  • Please join us on IIDB (iidb.org)
    This is the archived FRDB and IIDB forum from prior to about March 2014. It is read only. If you would like to respond or otherwise revive a post or topic, please join us on the active forum: IIDB.

No one is saying that God does not exist.

Discussion threads from the Existence of God forum, last posted to in June through September, 2000.
Deleted
Basic Beliefs:
Out Campaign: Real Name:

Post by Deleted » Sun Sep 24, 2000 9:34 am

Dubbs,
I don't know what you mean by: "God focuses on a few in order to reach the world." Paul says the resurrected Christ manifested himself before 500 people (1 Cor. 15).

Secondly, in response to your comment, "they [the 12 apostles]were killed except for one," we really don't know WHAT happened to the disciples of Jesus. The stories of the disciples' martydom are legends--and there are several completely different versions of these martydom legends. If people who brought up the alleged martydoms of the apostles would actually do some research into the different legends, they would see that the legends are often contradictory and therefore NO reliable conclusion can be reached about the fate of the apostles.

In response to your statement: "the character of the witness is a large consideration that seems to have been disregarded..." We also know nothing of the character of the disciples of Jesus. For all we know they could have been opportunists who decided to "resurrect" some revolutionary preacher from Galilee to appeal to gullible poor people. (And to appeal to the Bible is like a Mormon appealing to Mormon church history as objective testimony of the character of Joseph Smith--it just doesn't work.)

Thirdly, it is particularly nauseating when a fundamentalist starts mind-reading. You have no idea what the character of those who claimed to have seen Elvis is. You just assumed they had a bad character because it fit your argument. For all we know they could be just as honest as the early Christian evangelists. Are you really suggesting that ALL Elvis sighters are dishonest? Does "judge not lest ye be judged" ring any bells? I think that regardless of the interpretations of this statement by the gospel Jesus, assuming the character of an entire group of people constitutes judging someone!

To broadly address your other points, the reason that I do not believe in a god is because to do so would open the floodgates to all sorts of irrational beliefs. If one accepts the idea of the existence of a god, to be consistent, he must by default concede that all other superstitious beliefs are worthy of acceptance as well. If I suggested that your consciousness was just a dream and that at the end of your life, you will wake up from that dream, I think that most people would reject that suggestion because there is no evidence to support such a claim. But theists have to concede that this is in fact possible and acceptable because they are not accountable to rational inquiry.